Thursday, March 15, 2012

I have just recently started my actual career in esthetics! FINALLY!!! I'm so excited to actually start working in my field that I absolutely love!!! For anyone whos wondering, no you don't have clients banging down your door at first. And let me tell you I have worked 8 hour days unpaid and boy was that a shock! But then I realized , I have to sell myself! Educate clients on what you do! How can you expect your employer to pay you salary fresh out of school, with no client base? In all reality, they want to test your motivation and drive . You have to make your own work! And hey, some people just aren't interested, but sometimes they might know people who are! I have been into esthetics less than a month, and there's highs and lows. My first day I had more clients than I've had in the past two weeks! I got so discouraged my first day with no clients, I broke down. The truth is I want to be busy, I want so many clients who want all different things! At first I blamed it on the fact that I work in a hair salon, which is technically not ideal. Bur hey, maybe that afterthought eyebrow wax client wants to try a facial someday down the road ! Heres hoping! I started off so desperate I was giving complimentary hand massages, which can work in your favor but also against it. Some clients will take it and see complimentary fly out of your mouth, won't tip but you might get a good conversation out of it. Tell them your the new esthetician, explain what you do, maybe a mini consultation? Always be positive when talking to your potential clients! Don't moan about not having clients! Promote what the spa you work at provides! It can also work against you, those clients that take hand massages may just want to read their magazine and hold their hand out and not talk to you at all. Some people dont want to be bothered! It can be very hard to read! Clients can also take complimentary services as itching for a tip and selling them something they didn't come in for. It doesn't hurt to try! I took a break from hand massages and just started approaching clients with foils when their hairdresser stepped away, introduced myself and passed out my card to them! They always take it! Whenever you actually have a client, be personable - no one wants to have girl time with no girl talk! Also, even though your client comes in for a wax, ask them what they use on their skin. Ask them if it works for them, they might be in need of a serious skincare regimen intervention! I'm still learning though - this is just what I've learned so far! I haven't even been in it long enough to see returning clients but I have a feeling what I'm doing so far should be working! Once I build my clientele, I would love to share with you how I did it! But until I do that, I will just keep spreading my around my passion for skincare!

<3 inner beauty is the best foundation.
Kristi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment